Saturday, May 19, 2012

Dinner and a movie - Kalamata style

It is Saturday night, and owing to the fact that we kind of needed to get out of the hotel (we'll blog about that shortly), Randall came up with the idea of "dinner and a movie".  I was all for it, since we had tried rather unsuccessfully for a couple of nights in Athens to go to the movies, which at that time were about two blocks away from us, but we were so tired at the end of the day, we lacked any energy to stay awake any longer than absolutely necessary.

After such a quiet day, this was a perfect opportunity to explore some extraneous local culture.

So, dinner and a movie was "Dark Shadows" in English with amazing Greek subtitles (I learned some interesting Greek swear words, which I expect I will be using with the woman at the Athenian Agora when we return), and gyros at a local restaurant.  I am also getting better at reading an only Greek menu.  We also found a sweet shop open at 10pm, and got a couple of unknown foil-wrapped cake-based treats for the movie.

They haven't gotten stadium seating, or Dolby surround sound, but the screen was nice and big, and once we moved up two more rows, we were away from the noisy 20-something crowd.  We were a bit surprised by the intermission, which threw off my timing of the movie's length, but did allow us to check our email briefly, and as I like to watch the credits for the music, which are always among the last, Randall reminded me that we were holding up the projectionist, who was waiting for us.

Maybe we'll try again in Athens.  I forgot how much fun it was to see a Hollywood movie in a foreign country.



No comments:

Post a Comment