Monday, May 15, 2017

A Tale of Two Translations

Randall and I had the opportunity to participate in a rare wine tasting event hosted by one of the patriarchs of Greek wine and spirits.  Of course, this charismatic elder statesman and playboy spoke no English and told hours of stories about his life experiences in wine entirely in Greek.  We never imposed upon our hosts or their friends to translate in real time--that would have been much too cumbersome for everyone--but there was one story that was translated for me, twice.  It began this way...

The story concluded to some rousing applause, so not wishing to appear rude, I applauded as well.  I was asked by the gentleman next to me if I knew why I was applauded, to which I said others were, so I thought it appropriate.  He replied that I would not if I knew what had been said and proceeded to "translate" that the host said he created this variety of wine so that men could get control over strong women.  I nodded politely, and filed this away under 'why would he tell me this?'

Over the course of the banquet luncheon and several additional varieties of wine and spirits, the conversations around the table continued, and the lady across from me and I were talking and as we had more of the wine at issue, she provided her translation unsolicited which was that the wine was created to help strong women relax.

Later, as the conversation continued, the gentleman made a comment in opposition to her opinion. The subject of the comment/opinion was irrelevant because I remarked that I trusted her opinion, and I didn't trust him/his.  Of course, he defended by counterattacking me saying I had rushed to judgment when I didn't really know him at all.  "Of course I know you," I replied, and I proceeded to repeat verbatim each of their interpretations of the same story.  He realized he had been outwitted, she shook my hand, and I had two new friends.

P.S.  Shortly afterward by way of apology, he tried to explain that in Greece the man is considered "the head" and the woman is considered "the neck".   He was definitely suffering from foot-in-mouth disease.

P.P.S. I also assessed the gentleman's character by accusing him of wanting to be our host, and he sheepishly agreed.

1 comment:

  1. What a fabulous story! I hope you bought some of this wine to bring home for your next party!!(haha)

    ReplyDelete