Thursday, May 18, 2017

Psychiko - if you see something, say something

As we drive, we have become quite attuned to spotting brown signs with yellow lettering, which are the archaeological signs, and immediately assessing their relevance to us.   If we see "Ag." in the title, we can dismiss it quickly as a church, and therefore, inherently from the wrong time period.  And we learned from the previous trip that Level 3s don't usually get signs, so as this trip is about mopping up the Level 4s and 5s, if we see a sign, it's probably something that we want to see.

As we were driving through Sparta on our way to Taenaron, Randall remarked at a sign with, "I assume we're not going there."  After all, we had visited Sparta on the first trip and had done their main sites plus a museum on olives and olive oil.  The problem with the larger cities which are well known from antiquity is that the Atlas notes it as having Level 5 ruins, but not how many or where they are in the city.  Athens has a solid square (Level 5) notation, but we all know there are more ruins in Athens than just the Parthenon.  I didn't expect Sparta to have discontiguous ruins--my past research yielded only the ampitheatre, and even now, I still don't get any information about other ruins, probably because advertising isn't the Spartan way--so this sign was rather perplexing.

So, the second day, we just had to stop, or at least acknowledge the sign (there wasn't an arrow, which is usually a signal that you are at the site), so the only question was which side street was actually the entrance, and then where would we park since the ruin was only about 10m in from the road.  



Yep.  That's a ruin.  And since it is located in downtown Sparta, say it with me, it is completely enclosed by a fence, not that I needed or wanted to get any closer in order to appreciate this site. However, as is my custom, I take pictures of all signs so I can more easily tag my pictures later.  Like this:


However, because of the fence, I was unable to get close enough to take a decent picture without using the maximum zoom on my iPhone, and thus, this is completely unreadable.  Which led me to the internet to research what I just saw, and I found an archaeological report in English (http://chronique.efa.gr/index.php/fiches/to_pdf/1938/) which noted it was a "rescue excavation" owing to its proximity to the Gymnastics Club of Psychiko.  Bet they loved that.








No comments:

Post a Comment