Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Gythio: Wheat Field with Ruins

As long as we were exhausting all the Level 4 ruins (there were no Level 5 in the area we were exploring today), we stopped by Gythio (Gythieo, Githio...) for its amphitheatre.  The amusing part about this ruin is that it is located next to a military base, and by next, I mean they put their wall around the base as CLOSE to the ruin as possible without annoying the archaeologists too much.  The other amusing part about this ruin is that there are signs at the entrance of the military base saying that you cannot take pictures of the military base (this was also true on a stretch of road south of Sparta which went through a military base), but you can take as many pictures of the ruins as you want, so of which by necessity may include the military base.

Here's what I got.




Oh, and I did I mention that I had to walk through a 5+ foot high field of wheat to get to the ruin???







1 comment:

  1. You are amazing and I love the pics! Especially because at 5 feet of wheat it is doubtful that I would be able to make that trek without "drowning" in wheat. Need to rent a sythe! Ha! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete