Monday, May 15, 2023

My Greek is getting better - Yes and No edition

On my first trip to Greece, I learned the words for "yes' and "no".  Simple things to allow me to communicate basic information.  At the time, these words were counterintuitive.  Ναί (yes) sounded too much like no--same leading consonant, monosyllabic. But όχι (no) became a fabulous addition. A whole extra syllable to convey meaning.

Now in practice, I have rarely heard Ναί said only once when agreeing with something. More like 3 or 4 times to really get the point across. I did hear an older man listening to his daughter discuss the finances of the restaurant, and his single Ναί was an expression of reluctant acceptance.

όχι, on the other hand, need only be said once, and especially when said by women, seems to convey the depth of "oh, you poor sad man, you are so deluded. I pity you."

We were at a taverna recently when two young Roma girls came to sell flowers.  The first girl approached Randall.  He said "no".  She was unconvinced and begged for money.  (Perhaps) unknowingly that her sister had already been to our table, the next girl approached.  I said "όχι, όχι" with a flat affectation. She moved on.

No comments:

Post a Comment