Saturday, May 27, 2023

Hiking the Stairs

After some scrambling on our first night in Nafplio, we found a quaint Airbnb which better suited our needs, but we were now confronted with a new challenge. Stairs, and not just any old ancient staircase, but a true 18th c. two-story walkup.

Any day that we didn't feel like we had enough hiking, we knew we still had this to look forward to at the end of the evening.


I wish had I taken more pictures, but by the time I got home, it was always dark, and all I wanted to do was force march myself to the apartment.  I will note that the first flight, not even seen in this picture of 20 steps, were about 2.5' wide, and then got narrower as they began to circle the shaft, a point made more difficult by the downstairs neighbor who was also running a salon, and decorated the entryway with potted plants in the corner stairs, thus taking away from the tread depth.  Additionally, the "landing" outside our apartment was itself only just one stair, so I am half in the apartment as I am taking this picture.  And there were more stairs to the roof deck, which we never used.  That vertical ascent was worse, as if one were climbing a ladder.  Our host kindly said, "you will take your morning coffee up there".  I kind of nodded dismissively thinking there is no way we will have enough time to practice those maneuvers.  

Hauling the luggage and all that wine and honey into the room was a chore.  Taking it back down on the day of our departure was scary--kept feeling like the luggage was taking me down the stairs, not the other way around.



No comments:

Post a Comment