Thursday, May 11, 2023

A Hard Day of Sight-Seeing

 It's hard to garner sympathy for a hard day of sight-seeing.  

As we both have Apple watches, this adds a new twist to data collection during our trip.  While in my daily life, I try to "close my rings", no doubt with all the walking/hiking/climbing that will be involved in seeing the myriad archaeological sites and other places of interest, that won't be a problem.  But the amusing part is how different Randall's and my data and how poorly calibrated the algorithm can be.  

For example, on our first full day in Athens, Randall and I, without being separated for more than nominal bathroom breaks, were together all day.  We went to the same places on the Acropolis, the same exhibits in the Acropolis Museum and Kostanas Museum, and the same table at the restaurants.  Yet, at the end of the evening, I had walked 16,190 steps and 17 flights of stairs, whereas Randall had only 15,848 but 22 flights!  Seriously, we are walking together everywhere, and my legs are just as long as his!!!  But I think the even funnier metric was that the Apple watch thinks climbing to the top of the Acropolis was only 12 flights of stairs for me.  It's at an elevation of 490 ft.  You do the math.

Then, on our first day in Crete, not even a full day yet, Randall and I are off by over 800 steps and 3 flights of stairs!  And this isn't about strides, as I have also logged a full .5 mile more than him. 

I'm sure I'll have more perplexing comparisons and analyses, and I'll just add to this post.  If anyone has any ideas as to why our numbers could be SO off, I would love to hear them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment