Monday, May 15, 2023

Animal in an unusual place - Peacock edition

When we entered Knossos at 8:00am, the site was basically empty.  It was amazingly tranquil.  The wind through the adjacent sycamores.  The light echo of our footsteps on the ubiquitous concrete.  The call of birds.  I'm not a bird-watcher, but I can recognize a few calls.  We have some red-tailed hawks living in the conservation land near our house and their cries are unmistakable.  At Knossos, two small birds were squawking, disturbing the peace with their banter, until another bird chimed in and commanded attention.  My auditory memory vied with my rational brain.  I had heard this sound many times as a child visiting zoos and once confirmed my knowledge while traveling in India.  I mentioned to Randall what I thought I heard, and that I would be very surprised to turn a corner and be proven right.  Well...




(Here's a short video of the peacock call that Randall took.)

There he was.  He never displayed his plumage in full, but he did flap his little wings to get over the walls and wander through the lower ruins with impunity.

I suppose I shouldn't have been that surprised.  After all, the peacock is the animal symbol for Hera, having taken the eyes of Argos, her watchman and placed them on the tail feathers.  


No comments:

Post a Comment